Top 10 similar words or synonyms for felling_colliery

tymawr    0.636915

trimdon_grange    0.628810

gresford_colliery    0.627429

chatterley_whitfield    0.617702

dinas_rhondda    0.617404

lewis_merthyr_colliery    0.617012

dawdon    0.610209

writhlington_colliery    0.603706

cynheidre    0.599060

wallsend_colliery    0.598781

Top 30 analogous words or synonyms for felling_colliery

Your secret weapon. Online courses as low as $11.99

Article Example
Hugh Turner He was born in Wigan, but moved to Gateshead when he was younger. He played for Felling Colliery and Gateshead High Fell, before moving to Huddersfield in 1926.
Brandling of Newcastle A disaster at their Felling Colliery in 1812, when 91 lives were lost, was largely responsible for the pressure to develop a miners' safety lamp. Ironically, Felling Hall fell victim to mining subsidence and had to be demolished.
Albert Watson (footballer, born 1903) Watson signed for Blackpool from Felling Colliery F.C. in Felling, Gateshead, making his debut on 20 October 1923. He scored two goals in a 5–0 victory over Coventry City at Bloomfield Road and made a further 14 league appearances in the 1923–24 season, scoring another three goals.
Brandling of Newcastle The family fortunes were largely derived from the exploitation of coal reserves under their lands. Coal was worked at Felling from about 1670. The deep mine at Felling Colliery was sunk by the Brandlings in 1779. Their mines were linked to the River Tyne by wagonways.
Felling mine disasters The Felling Colliery (also known as Brandling Main) in Britain, suffered four disasters: 1812, 1813, 1821 and 1847. By far the worst of the four was the 1812 disaster which claimed 92 lives on 25 May 1812. The loss of life in the 1812 disaster was one of the motivators for the development of the miners' safety lamp.
Felling, Tyne and Wear On 19 January 1811, the original High Main seam at Felling Colliery was closed, but by that time the colliery had grown enormously. The colliery was deepened to reach the Low Main seam. Two shafts were provided: John Pit and William Pit. The Low Main and began operation in October 1810. Disaster struck Felling Colliery on 25 May 1812 when, despite the colliery containing the most up-to-date safety measures, firedamp ignited and at around 11.30 am, "one of the most tremendous explosions in the history of coal mining took place". Two explosions rocked the colliery, the blast appearing in both pits. A cloud of coal dust and debris over a radius of a mile and a half was ejected from the colliery. One account recalled:
Felling mine disasters On Tuesday 22 June 1847, shortly after 21:00, another explosion occurred at Felling Colliery. Six miners were killed, four outright and two died of their injuries over the following two days. The surgeon employed by the mine owners tried, unsuccessfully, to treat the injured. Two of the dead were killed immediately by a fall of rock from the roof, the other two by afterdamp. As well as the human cost, eighteen horses were killed either by the explosion or by the afterdamp.
Felling, Tyne and Wear The decline of heavy industry, meanwhile, continued apace. In 1932 the large chemical works at Felling Shore closed and was left derelict, leaving behind a 2 million tonne heap of spoil. Felling Colliery, the oldest and most extensive of all Felling's industry, had changed hands numerous times after the Brandlings finally sold their stake in the 1850s and ultimately closed in 1931 with the loss of 581 jobs. Fairs boat yard at Felling Shore had been sold in 1919 and became Mitchison's ship yard, but this too closed in 1964.
Felling, Tyne and Wear About half-past one o'clock on the morning, an explosion took place in Felling colliery, by which nine men and thirteen boys were hurried into eternity, several others severely burnt, and all the underground horses but one destroyed. The accident occurred at the time of calling course, or when one set of men were relieving another. Several of the morning shift men were standing round the mouth of the pit, waiting to go down, when the blast occurred, and the part who had just descended met it soon after they had reached the bottom of the shaft; these were most miserably burnt and mangled.
Dick Johnson (footballer) Johnson was born in Gateshead and played for Felling Colliery before joining Liverpool in 1919. He scored 13 goals in 27 games in 1920–21 and his 16 goals in 41 in 1922–23 helped the Anfield side to win the Football League First Division. He left for Stoke City in February 1925 and he scored four goals towards the end of the 1924–25 season to help Stoke avoid the drop however relegation was suffered the following season. He helped Stoke gain an instant return winning the Football League Third Division North in 1926–27 and then became a back up player until his departure to New Brighton in August 1929. He spent two seasons at New Brighton and the left for Welsh League side Connah's Quay before his death at the age of 38 in 1933.