Top 10 similar words or synonyms for gresford_colliery

wattstown    0.702609

senghenydd    0.695877

abercarn    0.682256

dinas_rhondda    0.672284

lewis_merthyr_colliery    0.659348

hopkinstown    0.656197

tylorstown    0.655044

cyfarthfa    0.653876

trehafod    0.653087

abergele    0.652427

Top 30 analogous words or synonyms for gresford_colliery

Article Example
Gresford Colliery The first coal was produced in June, 1911 and full production reached before the outbreak of World War I. Three seams were worked: the Crank, the Brassey (named after engineer Thomas Brassey), and the Main. House coal was produced from the Crank seam, the Brassey seam was virtually gas free whilst the Main seam was very gaseous. Working conditions at the colliery were dusty, and very hot, the temperature often more than .
Gresford Colliery Subsequent to the accident a number of theories were advanced in the Report as to the explosion's exact cause: Sir Stafford Cripps, the miners' legal representative, suggested that an explosion had been triggered in 95's by shotfiring (the firing of explosive charges) near a main airway. The miners' appointed Assessor also surmised that a large quantity of gas had accumulated at the top of the face in 14's district, which was then ignited by an accident with a safety lamp or by a spark from a coalcutter. The legal representatives of the pit's management, however, suggested that firedamp had accumulated in the main Dennis haulage road beyond the Clutch (a junction on the main drift where the underground haulage machinery was located) and which was ignited at the Clutch when a telephone was used to warn miners of the influx of gas. This interpretation sought to deny that poor working practices were the ultimate cause of the disaster.
Gresford Colliery The disaster left 591 widows, children, parents and other dependants. In addition, over 1500 miners were temporarily without work, until the colliery was re-opened in January 1936. After each newspaper opened its own fund, they and national donations by September 1935 totalled £565,000. The sum was divided equally split between the Lord Mayor of London's "Mansion House Fund" and the Lord Lieutenant of Denbighshire's "Denbighshire Fund." The local committee which met in Wrexham took monies from both funds, and appointed a visitor to ensure that immediate relief was distributed in the form of grants and temporary weekly allowances. The two funds were amalgamated in July 1935, under the provision of a trust deed to form the Gresford Colliery Disaster Relief Fund, with three trustees: the Lord Mayor of London, the Governor of the Bank of England and the Lord Lieutenant of Denbighshire. They devolved power to a local administration committee, who paid monies via an honorary actuary. The fund was wound up after the deaths of the last dependants, and donated residual monies to the creation of the memorial to the victims unveiled in 1982.
Gresford Colliery Industrialist Henry Dennis of Ruabon, and his son Henry Dyke Dennis, began the colliery near Gresford in 1907. The site was on the edge of the Alyn Valley, between the Shrewsbury and Chester Railway (later the GWR Birkenhead to London Paddington line), and the old main road between Wrexham and Chester.
Gresford Colliery By 1934, there were two main sections to Gresford Colliery, the Dennis and the South-east, which were both part mechanised. 2,200 miners worked in three eight-hour shifts. Some miners worked double shifts to earn extra money despite it being illegal. The Dennis family owned a residual 45% stake in the colliery, and wanting additional profitability put manager, William Bonsall, under pressure to increase the productivity of the whole colliery.
Gresford Colliery Gresford Colliery was a coal mine located a mile from the North Wales village of Gresford, near Wrexham.
Gresford Colliery Sir Henry Walker, the Chief Inspector of Mines, chaired the inquiry which opened on 25 October 1934, at Church House, Regent Street, Wrexham. Walker was assisted by John Brass, for the mine owners; and Joseph Jones for the Miners' Federation of Great Britain (MFGB). Both sides employed barristers, Hartley Shawcross (who later became the Chief British prosecutor at the Nuremberg Trials) for the owners; while the MFGB were offered "pro bono publico" the services of Labour MP and barrister Sir Stafford Cripps.
Gresford Colliery The national and local newspapers focused on stories of heroism and bereavement, with speculation about who was at fault, or what caused the disaster left alone.
Gresford Colliery Only 11 bodies were ever recovered, and the mine remained sealed off for six months after the explosion. Districts of the mine were gradually reopened, although the Dennis district, where the explosion occurred remained sealed.
Gresford Colliery There is also a painting in All Saint's church, Gresford, depicting scenes from the disaster and rescue.