Top 10 similar words or synonyms for dinas_rhondda

blaencwm    0.799405

llwyncelyn    0.791457

ganllwyd    0.790103

llangwnnadl    0.783694

varteg    0.782296

abersychan    0.779533

tynewydd    0.776917

trehafod    0.774158

llanelltyd    0.770547

blaenrhondda    0.768425

Top 30 analogous words or synonyms for dinas_rhondda

Article Example
Dinas Rhondda Dinas is located in the lower Rhondda Valley about half way between Treorchy and Pontypridd. Neighbouring settlements are Penygraig, Trealaw, Tonypandy, Cymmer and Porth.
Dinas Rhondda Dinas is a village near Tonypandy in the county borough of Rhondda Cynon Taf, Wales. Dinas is often referred to as Dinas Rhondda to avoid confusion with Dinas Powys in the Vale of Glamorgan. The word "" in Modern Welsh means "city", but here (as in Old and Middle Welsh more generally) it means "hill fort".
Dinas Rhondda Dinas is the site of Dinas Lower () Colliery, sunk by Walter Coffin in 1812 as the first deep coal mine in the Rhondda valley. This was later followed by the sinking of the Dinas Middle Colliery in 1832 along the southern banks of the river Rhondda Fawr, opposite Dinas Rhondda railway station. From here coal was carried by trams via Porth, Cymmer, and Trehafod to Pontypridd, where it was conveyed by canal to Cardiff. In 1844 there was an explosion in the mine, the first major explosion to occur in the Rhondda Valleys, and twelve men and boys were killed. In 1869, a new shaft was opened in order to improve conditions in the pit. Ten years later another devastating explosion resulted in the death of 63 miners. The shaft was deepened in 1881 to reach lower seams with steam coal, but by 1887 production was declining and in 1893 production had ceased in both collieries.
Dinas Rhondda In 1841 the 4-mile long Rhondda branch line of the Taff Vale Railway was opened between Pontypridd and Dinas, eventually to be extended as far as Treherbert by 1856.
Dinas Rhondda railway station Dinas Rhondda railway station is a railway station serving the Dinas, Penygraig and Trealaw districts of Tonypandy, Wales. It is located on the Rhondda Line. The station has one platform with one small station shelter and is accessible by a small connector road. There is evidence of a previous platform, which originally served North bound trains to Treherbert, but this was left abandoned after rationalisation in 1982, which saw the removal of the northbound line. Today the platform is heavily overgrown. Surprisingly, it has a car park, even though it's one of the smaller stations on the line.
Dinas Rhondda railway station Monday-Saturday, there is a half-hourly service to southbound and to northbound. This drops to hourly in the evenings and two-hourly in each direction on Sundays.
Cymmer, Rhondda Cynon Taf Cymmer is located in the lower Rhondda Valley about half way between Treorchy and Pontypridd. It is situated on the A4119 road half a mile from its junction with the A4058 road. Neighbouring settlements are Penygraig, Trealaw, Tonypandy, Dinas Rhondda, Llwyncelyn and Porth. Cymmer comprises the villages of Trehafod, Trebanog, Britannia, Glynfach and Cymmer itself.
Glamorgan Before the use of locomotives, railway track was used at various stages of the canal system to link locations to which the waterways could not reach. These wagons on these tramlines would be pulled by horse over wooden rails, which later were replaced by wrought iron. In 1809 Richard Griffiths built a private tram-road to the Glamorganshire Canal from his coal mine in Gyfeillion. The Gyfeillion site was extended further in 1811 to link Walter Coffin's mine at Dinas Rhondda, allowing the first viable transport link from the Rhondda coal fields to the ports of Cardiff.
Pentre Pre-1850, the area which is now Pentre was made up of several scattered farms tended by tenant farmers for absentee landlords. With the discovery, in the early 19th century, of economically viable coal deposits in Dinas Rhondda it was not long until expeditions reached the mid valleys. In 1857 Edward Curteis of Llandaff leased the mineral rights of Tyr-y-Pentre from Griffith Llewellyn of Baglan and soon had two levels opened, the Pentre and Church. During the early part of 1864 deeper shafts had been sunk by the Pentre Coal Company. The mines in the Pentre were some of the most profitable of all the collieries in the Rhondda.