Top 10 similar words or synonyms for sirhowy

llynvi    0.794117

churnet    0.793392

llynfi    0.786798

hirwaun    0.786512

pencader    0.779685

tramroad    0.779282

rhymney    0.778457

blaenavon    0.773401

towy    0.771765

redbrook    0.768635

Top 30 analogous words or synonyms for sirhowy

Article Example
Sirhowy Valley The Sirhowy Valley () is an industrialised valley in the eastern part of the Valleys region of South Wales. It is named from the Sirhowy River () which runs through it. Its upper reaches are occupied by the town of Tredegar within the unitary area of Blaenau Gwent. The valley initially heads south-southeast between the ridges of Cefn Manmoel to the east and Mynydd Bedwellte to the west before turning to a more southerly direction. Its central section is one of the least populated of the Welsh coalfield valleys. The valley enters the unitary area of Caerphilly which contains the towns of Blackwood () and Pontllanfraith. It then turns east and joins the valley of the Ebbw River, Ebbw Vale at Crosskeys.
Sirhowy Railway A transitional period followed during which the tramroad was converted from a plateway to a railway for the use of the flanged wheel. After difficulties were experienced at Tredegar Junction, Nine Mile Point and other places, a solution was found using a combined wrought iron plate and the Great Western Railway's 'bridge' pattern heavy rail which provided a wide inner tread for unflanged wheels of 4ft 2in gauge and a raised external part for ordinary standard gauge flanged wheels.
Sirhowy River The Sirhowy River (Welsh language : "Afon Sirhywi") is a river in South Wales and a tributary of the Ebbw River.
Sirhowy Valley The valley's industrial history began with ironworks before evolving to meet the demand for coal and the expansion of coal mining. This process was led by companies such as the Tredegar Iron and Coal Company. Coal mines used to be located throughout the valley, including: Wyllie; Nine Mile Point and Oakdale. The Sirhowy passes the old Gelligroes Mill near Blackwood along its path.
Sirhowy Railway Although the improvised solution proved effective, it was decided to proceed with full conversion of the line and Parliamentary approval was obtained by an Act of 25 May 1860 which changed the name of the company to the Sirhowy Railway Company. The Act also authorised a northward extension of the line to on the Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway which had received Parliamentary approval in 1859. The decision to convert the line arguably came too late, as it left the fledging railway with limited resources to fight off the incursions into its territory by more established and larger companies. The Monmouthshire Canal's tramroad from Nine Mile Point was converted to standard gauge in 1855 and the Sirhowy Railway was granted running powers over the section, which allowed it to commence passenger services between and on 19 June 1865. Trains were made up of three 4-wheel coaches offering a choice of 1st, 2nd and 3rd class travel, and hauled by a 2-4-0 tank engine. Trains called at , Blackwood, Tredegar Junction and with a journey time of 1 hour and 20 minutes. The Nantybwch extension opened on 2 November 1868.
Sirhowy Railway L&NWR services on the Sirhowy began in July 1875 with little change of traffic or rolling stock. The timetable was modified with the withdrawal of the two Sunday services. From March 1880, Sirhowy services ceased using Newport Dock Street and ran into the rebuilt . As Nine Mile Point was part of the GWR, this led to iron and coal services being diverted on the Vale of Neath Railway and pathed via to Aber Sidings then to Alexandra Docks and Newport as a means of avoiding the GWR.
Sirhowy River The Sirhowy River has its source on the slopes of Cefn Pyllau-duon above Tredegar. After flowing through Siôn-Sieffre's Reservoir it turns south through Tredegar and then Blackwood and Pontllanfraith. It turns eastwards near Cwmfelinfach and joins the River Ebbw near Crosskeys.
Sirhowy Railway The Sirhowy Railway was a railway line which operated between 1860 and 1970 in the Sirhowy Valley, Monmouthshire, South East Wales.
Sirhowy Railway The Sirhowy Tramroad was incorporated on 26 June 1802 to run from the Tredegar Iron and Coal Company's ironworks to Nine Mile Point where it joined the Monmouthshire Canal Company's tramroad to Newport. The Sirhowy was the third public tramway to receive Parliamentary approval for its line, the others being the Carmarthenshire Railway of 3 June 1802 and the Oystermouth Railway of 29 June 1804. A plateway was laid to carry coal and iron to and from the ironworks. The first passenger service, which was known locally as "The Caravan", was started in 1822 and ran twice a week from the Tredegar Arms in Newport to Tredegar. All traffic was horse-drawn until 17 December 1829 when a steam locomotive named "Britannia" was introduced on a trial basis. The locomotive was a success and made daily journeys of hauling loads of 50 and 60 tons, while reducing the cost of horse power by 35%.
Sirhowy Railway By 1864, it was rumoured that the Great Western Railway and the London and North Western Railway (L&NWR) were each seeking to lease the Sirhowy. This prompted a warning to the Monmouthshire Railway in an editorial published by the "Star of Gwent", pointing out to shareholders that they were on the verge of committing a strategic error similar to that of 1861 when the company's failure to buy the Rumney Railway allowed the Brecon and Merthyr to path traffic away from Newport Docks and the Monmouthshire and inflict a significant revenue loss. According to the editorial, it would be "suicidal" not to take up the offer to buy the lease at £23,000 which would represent £1,600 per mile. The same warning appeared in "Herepath's Railway Journal".