Top 10 similar words or synonyms for kirkoswald

allanton    0.838745

coppenhall    0.831936

bishopstone    0.831079

kirkmichael    0.830203

pathhead    0.829273

drumoak    0.826312

banchory    0.825461

llangennith    0.824795

morebattle    0.823748

crathie    0.823624

Top 30 analogous words or synonyms for kirkoswald

Article Example
Kirkoswald, Cumbria The village also has one shop which houses a post office, a Methodist church and a well-attended primary school. Until quite recently there were further shops including a butcher and a branch of the Midland Bank.
Kirkoswald, Cumbria An electoral ward in the same name exists. This ward stretches north to Ainstable with a total population taken at the 2011 census of 1,471.
Kirkoswald, Cumbria One of Kirkoswald's most splendid buildings is the "College", its name recalling the days when St Oswald's Church was a collegiate church. Originally built in 1450 as a Pele Tower it became home to the Fetherstonhaugh family, after dissolution in 1547, who previously lived at Featherstone Castle in Northumberland.
Kirkoswald Castle A royal licence to crenellate a manor house standing on the site (belonging to Hugh de Morvile) was granted by King John in 1201. In 1314 it was destroyed by the Scots and rebuilt 3 years later in 1317. In 1485 it was greatly expanded and a moat was added. After the death of Thomas Dacre, 2nd Baron Dacre in 1525 the stained glass, panelling and beamed ceilings were moved to Naworth Castle.
Kirkoswald, Cumbria The village's name means "Church of St Oswald" and the parish church is dedicated to Saint Oswald, King of Northumbria. The body of Oswald is believed to have been taken through the village. The church lies on the southern edge of the village overlooking the River Eden close to the bridge which connects Kirkoswald to Lazonby. St Oswald's Church is unique in having a 19th-century bell tower on top of the hill 200 yards from the church itself. Parts of the church date from the 12th century, the chancel being added in 1523, when the "College" was founded by Thomas Dacre, 2nd Baron Dacre and his wife. A sacred spring lies under the nave of the church, and a well is found on the west wall.
Kirkoswald, Cumbria The village consists mainly of one main street rising up a steep hill passing through a market place on which the village's two pubs (the "Crown Inn" and the "Fetherston Arms") are situated. A third pub, the Black Bull, which at one time won awards for its food, overlooked the square but this closed in the early 1990s.
Kirkoswald Castle The ruins are recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building, and the ruins together with the moated site on which they stand are a Scheduled Monument.
Kirkoswald, Cumbria Kirkoswald is within the Eden District of Cumbria. Included in the parish are the nearby village of Renwick and the hamlets of Staffield, High Bankhill, Parkhead and Scales. From 1866 to 1934 Renwick and Staffield were separate civil parishes. The parish council meets at the village hall in Kirkoswald's former market square.
Kirkoswald Castle Kirkoswald Castle is located to the southeast of the village of Kirkoswald, Cumbria,England. It is built from Penrith red sandstone and is still partially standing.
Kirkoswald Castle The site exists on farm land with the moat and some of the buildings, including a tower, still visible. A public footpath runs next to the site, which should not be entered for reasons of safety.