Top 10 similar words or synonyms for inveresk

castlehill    0.800080

dalmeny    0.795874

hillington    0.794573

dreghorn    0.792829

banchory    0.791621

allanton    0.790026

kirknewton    0.789445

kirkhill    0.789435

kirkton    0.788841

restalrig    0.788511

Top 30 analogous words or synonyms for inveresk

Your secret weapon. Online courses as low as $11.99

Article Example
Inveresk The element "Inver", from the Gaelic "inbhir", refers to the confluence of the river Esk with the Firth of Forth.
Inveresk The village was formerly in the Midlothian parish of the same name and developed distinctly from the separate burgh of Musselburgh.
Inveresk Inveresk (Gaelic: "Inbhir Easg") is a village in East Lothian, Scotland situated immediately to the south of Musselburgh. It has been designated a conservation area since 1969. It is situated on slightly elevated ground on the north bank of a loop of the River Esk. This ridge of ground, 20 to 25 metres above sea level, was used by the Romans as the location for a fort in the 2nd century AD.
Inveresk Inveresk is notable for its fine street of 17th- and 18th-century houses. Inveresk Lodge is now privately leased, but the adjacent Inveresk Lodge Garden belongs to the National Trust for Scotland, and its west facing gardens overlooking the river Esk are open to the public. This was formerly the mansion of James Wedderburn who had made his fortune as a slave-owning sugar plantation owner in Jamaica. When his son by one of his slaves, Robert Wedderburn, travelled to Inveresk to claim his kinship he was insultingly rejected by his father who gave him some small beer and a broken or bent sixpence. This experience turned Robert Wedderburn to radicalism.
Inveresk The village is dominated by St. Michaels church that stands at its west end on the summit of the local hill overlooking Musselburgh. Its graveyard/cemetery stretches westwards for almost 300m and is split into separate walled sections (marking its various stages of extension) which can be broadly bracketed as original (mainly 18th century), a late Victorian extension, an Edwardian/ early 20th century extension to the north, and a modern section to the far west.
Inveresk The current church is by Robert Nisbet and dates to 1805 and has a stone spire of Wren-influence but is believed to date to the 6th century.
Inveresk The graveyard has a number of interesting graves:-
Inveresk Roman Fort The fort's Roman name remains unknown, although it has been suggested that Ptolemy's Κούρια ("Curia" or "Coria"), located in the lands of the Votadini, should be identified with Inveresk, "the name being transferred from a native meeting-place which it controlled (in this case perhaps Arthur's Seat, 4 miles to the west)". It may also have been called ""Evidensca"" according to the Ravenna Cosmography.
Inveresk railway station The station opened on 22nd June 1846 by the North British Railway as Musselburgh. In July 1847 the name was changed to Inveresk.The station was situated to the north of Wallyford station and to the south of Musselburgh station. The station closed on 4 May 1964 and the last goods service ran on 8 May 1970, thus the station closed completely the day after.
Inveresk Roman Fort The fort covered an area of 6.6 acres (2.7 ha), placing it at the larger end of the spectrum of fort sizes. For this reason, the original excavator, Ian Richmond, believed that a cavalry regiment had been stationed here. Little is known of the interior buildings, so this hypothesis cannot yet be tested. In 2007 a Roman tombstone was found at nearby Carberry depicting a Roman Governor's guard cavalry trooper named ""Crescens"" who was perhaps residing at the fort when he died.