Top 10 similar words or synonyms for eylesbarrow

dolcoath    0.661602

geevor    0.617241

polgooth    0.599103

techatticup    0.588858

leadhills    0.572094

dolaucothi    0.570940

rammelsberg    0.567831

elandsfontein    0.566112

eartham    0.563331

botallack    0.562525

Top 30 analogous words or synonyms for eylesbarrow

Article Example
Eylesbarrow mine The country rock of the mine is granite. The large mining sett (about ) is crossed by many tin-bearing lodes which are substantially vertical and trend east-north-east. Most of the mine's excavations were made into just three of these lodes and were relatively shallow. The formation of the lodes was accompanied by extensive metasomatism which converted much of the plagioclase feldspar in the surrounding granite into the soft mineral kaolinite, and made excavation easier than it would have been in unaltered rock.
Eylesbarrow mine In June 1847 the mine captain, John Spargo, proposed a number of improvements, including the installation of a 50 ft (15 m) waterwheel and new stamps, and the sinking of new shafts, the whole costing a total of nearly £1,000. Much of this work was undertaken, but by October the same year, the first signs that all was not well appeared in "The Mining Journal". The shares had not been well taken up and the lack of money was causing problems. By the following March it was reported that the mine could not continue in operation and a final call of £1 per share was being made to clear the debts of the company. It was clear that no tin had been sold.
Eylesbarrow mine As a matter of principle a power source (such as a waterwheel) is installed as close as possible to the equipment that it drives (such as a water pump), to minimise the inevitable loss of power incurred in its transmission. When the distance between source and target is significant an efficient means of transferring the power is necessary, and in the 19th century the best method available was the flatrod system. This was used at a number of mines and consisted of a series of linked iron or wooden rods connected to a crank on a waterwheel (or steam engine). The crank converted the circular motion of the wheel into an oscillatory back-and-forth motion of the rods which, suitably supported, could be extended for some distance along the ground. A heavy weight, known as the balance bob, pivoted on one or both ends of the run of the rods kept them under tension and allowed the conversion of the horizontal motion to vertical motion down the shaft.
Eylesbarrow mine By 1814 demand had caused the price of tin to rise to about £150 per ton and in that year a mining sett called "Ellisborough Tin Set" was granted. Extraction started at the mine in February 1815 and by 1820, despite several business difficulties, it was sending quantities of black tin to Cornwall for smelting. In 1822 the mine opened its own smelting house on the site—the only one in operation on the moor. There is evidence that black tin was bought from nearby mines for smelting here.
Eylesbarrow mine Yet another company, calling itself "Aylesborough", was formed during 1848, and sold over £50 worth of black tin. In 1849 Captain Spargo reported that the stamps were working well and a shaft had been deepened to 20 fathoms below adit. But problems reappeared and in 1851 it was advertised—for the last time—as "Wheal Ruth" with 2,700 shares offered at £2 each. This new concern employed only a few men, but operated successfully for a time, selling 1 ton 4 cwt 11 lb of ore for £61. 9s in September 1851 and over two tons for more than £107 in the last quarter of the year. However, on 25 September 1852 "The Mining Journal" ran an advert for the sale of all the mine's equipment by public auction. Since the price of tin was rising again at this time, it is most likely that the mine had become exhausted of tin that was recoverable economically.
Eylesbarrow mine The large site was extensively surveyed by English Heritage in 1999, and details are held in the English Heritage Archive.
Eylesbarrow mine Four adits are referred to in the mine documents. Shallow Adit and Deep Adit both date from the early phase of working, around 1815. Shallow Adit is blocked, its position marked by a stream issuing from the hillside just to the south of the main track. Deep Adit, however, is still open. Its entrance is lined with sturdy granite slabs and is about high and wide.
Eylesbarrow mine Traces of all the above-mentioned features can still be seen in the field.
Eylesbarrow mine From the wheelpit of the first waterwheel, two series of double pillars head eastwards up the hill, just to the north of the main track. The northern series heads towards Old Engine Shaft, a distance of . This shaft was in use from 1814 onwards. The southern, less well preserved series, probably led to Pryce Deacon's Shaft, away, and may have been in use in the 1840s.
Eylesbarrow mine The lodes varied in width up to a maximum of around 2.4 ft (0.73 m) and were, at least in the early years of the mine's operation, sometimes of very high quality ore, uncontaminated with other unwanted metalliferous ores. The existence of these high quality ores near the surface led the miners to believe that even better ore existed deeper down, but the history of the mine suggests that this is not the case and the mineralisation becomes patchy at depth.