Top 10 similar words or synonyms for dalry

maybole    0.872798

stewarton    0.867207

lesmahagow    0.860967

tranent    0.852042

mauchline    0.850905

crieff    0.850431

banchory    0.849854

kirkliston    0.845815

kilbirnie    0.844588

wishaw    0.840523

Top 30 analogous words or synonyms for dalry

Article Example
Dalry Dalry can refer to the following places in Scotland:
Dalry, Edinburgh The name Dalry may derive from "Dail Rig" or "Dail Ruigh", Scottish Gaelic for the "Place of the Fields" or "King's Field" respectively. "Field of the heather" from "Dail" and Scottish Gaelic "fhraoich", heather, has also been suggested as a derivation.
Dalry, Edinburgh Dalry Cemetery was designed by David Cousin in 1846 in the wake of the success of both Dean Cemetery in the west and Warriston Cemetery in the north. The cemetery was developed and owned by the Metropolitan Cemetery Association. It represented part of the second wave of cemetery building in the city, specifically serving the south-west sections. It was built on land that was part of the Dalry estate, which was variously owned by the Chieslies. It comprises 6 acres and is one of the smaller cemeteries in Edinburgh. The lodge house post-dates the main construction and was added in 1873, to a design by Peddie and Kinnear. The highly impressive Gothic entrance arch, built adjoining the lodge, was demolished in the 20th century. The cemetery was used most actively in the 19th century. However, the cemetery is the location of several 20th century Commonwealth War Graves, including the resting place of 24 casualties of the First World War and 2 of the Second World War. By the mid-1970s the cemetery was neglected and in great disrepair. A clean-up and improvement campaign was organised by the 'Action for Dalry Cemetery Group' resulting in a series of improvements completed by September 1976. In 1987 Edinburgh Council compulsorily purchased the cemetery and after further restoration it was reopened for access in May 1991. Adjacent to the cemetery is a long steep lane called 'Coffin Lane'. The lane is surrounded by high walls on both sides and has a nefarious reputation, being used as a murder location in several fiction books including the Rebus novel "Let It Bleed" by Ian Rankin. The novel "Crime" by Irvine Welsh also includes reference to Dalry.
Gorgie-Dalry Gorgie-Dalry is the name given to the joint community council, consisting of Gorgie and Dalry in the west of Edinburgh, the Scottish capital. The area also incorporates Tynecastle and parts of Ardmillan.
Gorgie-Dalry Several local free newspapers and newssheets used to be distributed in this area; however these ceased distribution due to council expenditure cutbacks in 2008.
Dalry, Edinburgh Dalry () is an area of the Scottish capital city of Edinburgh. It is located close to the city centre, between Haymarket and Gorgie. The area is now primarily residential. It is centred around Dalry Road, which has numerous shops, restaurants and small businesses. Lying outside the old city walls and west of the castle, the area began as part of the agricultural estate of Dalry House (constructed in 1661), the exception being the Dalry Mill, recorded as the oldest paper mill in Scotland, now demolished. In the Victorian period industrial development followed along with large scale tenement construction, new road layouts and the addition of railway infrastructure, all of which came to occupy the former fields. By the early 21st century most of the industry of Dalry has disappeared, with the former sites converted to private housing.
Dalry, Edinburgh Dalry was intensively developed in the 19th century and contains a mix of traditional tenements, "colonies" (terraced houses where one floor has an entrance at one side, and the other floor has an entrance on the other side; street names follow the buildings rather than the roads between them). The Dalry Colonies are located to the west end of the city centre and are concentrated on eight streets:
Dalry, Edinburgh In the early 21st century a substantial development occurred to the north west of Dalry on the industrial site of a former distillery that occupied land in both Dalry and in Haymarket. This was the Caledonian Distillery, a grain distillery, which was in operation from 1885 to 1988. The site is now occupied by 20 acres of private residential housing in an estate named Dalry Gait.
Dalry, Edinburgh The Balmoral bar was a former pub on Dalry road, which was destroyed by a fire in 2009. The collapse of the floor during the fire led to the death of one of the attending fire-fighters. The subsequent investigation into the Dalry fire led to the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service being fined following health and safety breaches.
Dalry, Edinburgh There are three church buildings in Dalry. St Martin of Tours Episcopal Church, constructed in 1883 is located on Dalry Road and is still used for services. St Martin's is a Scottish Episcopal Church and is located within the Diocese of Edinburgh. The other two are former churches which no longer operate as religious buildings. St Bride's Community Centre is a local community education centre that offers classes and activities for adults and children. It is run jointly by a local charity, the St Bride's association and also by the City of Edinburgh Council. The centre occupies the former St Bride's Church, which was constructed in 1908. In addition the charity also runs an art and education centre, the Garvald Centre, on Orwell Place, adjacent to Dalry House. The Dalry Congregational Church, on Caledonian Road, was constructed in 1872 by Alexander Heron and has been converted into accommodation as flats.