Top 10 similar words or synonyms for criccieth

llangybi    0.873781

llanystumdwy    0.873258

crickhowell    0.873214

tywyn    0.872956

towyn    0.872517

caernarfonshire    0.871127

penmaenmawr    0.870320

dolgellau    0.866484

henllan    0.865138

penygroes    0.862807

Top 30 analogous words or synonyms for criccieth

Article Example
Criccieth Famous people associated with the town include the British prime minister, David Lloyd George, who grew up in the nearby village of Llanystumdwy, and poet William George. Group Captain Leslie Bonnet, RAF officer, writer and originator of the Welsh Harlequin Duck and his wife Joan Hutt, artist; both lived at Ymwlch just outside Criccieth from 1949 until their deaths in 1985.
Criccieth With the final defeat of Gwynedd, Edward set about consolidating his rule in Wales. "Criccieth Castle" was extended and reshaped, becoming one of a ring of castles surrounding Edward's newly conquered territories. A township developed to support the garrison and a charter was granted in 1284; the charter was intended to create a plantation of English burgesses who would provide food for the soldiers from the arable land behind the "Dinas" and the grazings on the slopes beyond. Weekly markets were held on Thursdays and there were annual fairs on 25 April and 18 October, the evangelical feasts of Saint Mark and Saint Luke.
Criccieth Criccieth solicitor David Lloyd George was elected as Liberal Member of Parliament for the Caernarfon Boroughs in 1890. He was to hold the seat for 55 years, during which he was Prime Minister from 1916 to 1922. He was renowned for his scathing wit; as one of the great reformers of the 20th century; as a wartime leader; and for the scandals that rocked his government. His position as a leading statesman was to bring Criccieth back into national and international prominence; the town still has many locations connected with Lloyd George and his family.
Criccieth The rhyolitic headland on which the castle is built is strong and not easily eroded. The cliffs to each side, however, are less resistant, being made up of glacial drift, layers of boulders, stones, clay and silt which were laid down during the last ice age. Sea walls were already in existence at the time of the first Ordnance Survey map in 1891, and the west shore sea wall had been extended and groynes built by 1913. Extensive remedial work was completed in 1965, and the defences were again strengthened in 1974 and 1985. In 1995 work was started on improving the defences along "The Esplanade", followed in 1997 by further work to replace the crumbling gabions below "Lôn Felin". Submerged forests occur in a number of places off the Cardigan Bay coastline, including Criccieth; these are deposits of peat, soil and tree remains and appear to be post-glacial coastal lagoons and estuaries, which have been flooded by rising sea levels.
Criccieth "Criccieth Castle" dominates the town, standing on a rock overlooking Cardigan Bay. Little survives of the original building, but the outer defences are still prominent. The inner bailey contains the earliest remains, including the inner gatehouse, which has two semi-circular towers. It is thought that the original living quarters were in the south west tower, overlooking the sea, and that the square north tower supported a catapult.
Criccieth To the south of "Y Maes" stands "Caffi Cwrt", an early 18th century detached stone house where the burgesses held court when rain prevented them meeting in their usual location on the bridge. The house has been owned by just two families since 1729. Two medieval strip fields to the rear, "Llain Fawr" ("large strip") and "Llain Bella" ("furthest strip"), formed most of the smallholding of "Cwrt" but were lost when the railway was built. Nearby, where the slate shop now stands, was a smithy.
Criccieth "Muriau" on "Lôn Fel" includes a group of partly 17th century farm buildings set around a square, which were converted into houses by Elizabeth Williams Ellis of Chwilog. "Muriau Poethion" contains an early spiral staircase going round a large inglenook fireplace. North of "Ffordd Pwllheli", several mansions are along the lane, now named "Lôn Fel Uchaf". "Parciau" was once owned by Ellis Annwyl Owen, rector of Llanystumdwy from 1837 to 1846, whilst "Parciau Mawr" has a notable 19th century hay barn. "Bryn Awelon" was the home of David Lloyd George before the First World War, and later of his daughter Megan. Nearby, on "Arfonia Terrace", is "Parciau Uchaf", a farmhouse dating from 1829.
Criccieth The former "National Westminster Bank" on "Stryd Fawr" has step gables and is a duplicate of a building at Talgarth in Powys. On the south side of the street are a number of 19th century shops, including the "Medical Hall", dating from 1875 and "Siop Newydd", built in 1869.
Criccieth The town is served by Criccieth railway station on the Cambrian Coast Line between Pwllheli and Machynlleth. Trains, operated by Arriva Trains Wales, run through to Shrewsbury, Wolverhampton and Birmingham. The station, which is unstaffed, has been adopted by the local community which provides flower displays, and has engaged local artists to paint scenes of the town on the previously boarded up windows
Criccieth In 1749 "St Catherine's" was one of the buildings visited by Griffith Jones's "Circulating School". Out of a population of 600, 543 illiterates were taught to read so that they would be able to understand the Bible.