Top 10 similar words or synonyms for braysdown

faverdale    0.678884

besthorpe    0.674674

bilsthorpe    0.658195

littlethorpe    0.655563

chislet    0.655277

weaste    0.649938

linthwaite    0.647382

guiltcross    0.646991

abertysswg    0.645889

eastbury    0.643657

Top 30 analogous words or synonyms for braysdown

Article Example
Somerset Coalfield The Writhlington spoil heap or "batch" is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) because of the rich collection of fossils in the spoil. The Braysdown batch was planted with conifers, and is known as Braysdown Hill. The offices, blacksmith's shop and stables at the Upper Writhlington Colliery were converted into dwellings.
Peasedown St John By the second half of the 20th century there were at least six collieries within of Peasedown, including Braysdown, Camerton, Dunkerton, Writhlington and Shoscombe.
Peasedown St John The hamlets of Wellow and Shoscombe are sometimes regarded as part of Peasedown, but this is not correct, although Braysdown, New Buildings and Carlingcott are both still in the Parish of Peasedown St John.
West Country English Some dialect words now appear mainly, or solely, in place names, such as "batch" (North Somerset, = hill but more commonly applied to Coalmine spoil heaps e.g. Camerton batch, Farrington batch, Braysdown batch), "tyning", "hoe" (a bay). These are not to be confused with fossilised Brythonic or Cornish language terms, for example, "-coombe" is quite a common suffix in West Country place names (not so much in Cornwall), and means a "valley".
Peasedown St John The rapid growth of non-conformist religion across the North-Somerset Coalfield in the later 1800s and early 1900s was evident in Peasedown St John. There was a Primitive Methodist Chapel on the Bath Road (now Peasedown Methodist Church), Wesleyan Chapels in Braysdown Lane, New Buildings and Carlingcott, a United Methodist Chapel in Carlingcott (now Carlingcott Methodist Chapel), a Baptist Chapel on Eckweek Road (now Zebedees Nursery School) and a Christadelphian Hall which still stands on Huddox Hill.
Radstock North railway station Due to the extensive collieries in the area sunk into the Somerset Coalfield, the station was more extensive than others serving similar sized communities. Immediately west of the station was a line to Middle Writhlington Colliery, leading to Clandown Colliery and onwards to the local gas works. Immediately to the east of the station were connections to Ludlow Colliery, and the wagon way to Tyning Colliery. Further east towards Shoscombe was a junction giving access to Lower Writhlington Colliery, Braysdown Colliery and Writhlington Colliery.
Somerset Coalfield The first of the collieries around Timsbury village was sunk in 1791 and known as Conygre (Conigre in old spellings). Camerton Old Pit opened in 1781 and the shaft went down to . It closed around circa 1898 but the shaft was then used as an airway and escape route for the New Pit, until 1930 when it was closed and capped. The New Pit was half a mile east of the Old Pit and went down to . In 1928 it was joined underground to Braysdown Colliery and eventually closed in 1950.
Radstock North railway station The station closed to goods in 1964. After the decision to close the S&DJR in 1966, a connection was made to the west of the station with the GWR mainline. This allowed trains on the former B&NSR to traverse a short spur through Radstock North to the Lower Writhlington, Braysdown and Writhlington collieries, to transport coal to Portishead power station. Passenger services were withdrawn when the SDJR closed on 7 March 1966. After the last coal from the Somerset Coalfield was extracted from Writhlington Colliery on 28 September 1973, the spur was dismantled.
Radstock rail accident The extension from Evercreech to Bath was single-track. The dangers of working single track railways had long been recognised, and all sorts of safeguards (in addition to absolute block working) were supposed to be in place. However, on the single-line section between the crossing places at the stations at Radstock and Wellow, the S&D Railway had constructed a signal box at Foxcote. Ostensibly, this was to control a spur to Braysdown Colliery, but it was often used to allow two trains (travelling in the same direction) at once into the Radstock-Wellow section, in defiance of Regulations. (The Board of Trade rules laid down that only one train could occupy a single line section at any one time). The S&D later claimed that they understood Foxcote to be a "crossing place between sections", which it clearly was not.
Peasedown St John The present village of Peasedown St John is relatively modern. 'A place known by the name of The Red Post' was how the scattering of buildings was referred to in 1768, taking its name from the local Public House. The hamlet of Carlingcott on the north-west edge of Peasedown is known to have existed before 1800 but the main modern development in the area began in the 19th century when the Somerset Coalfield was greatly expanded as the Industrial Revolution increased demand for coal across England. By 1841 there was still no discernible village, except a few cottages around the Red Post and a small number of buildings along what would become the Bath Road. The sinking of the Braysdown colliery in 1845 meant that accommodation had to be built for the enlarged workforce to work the new pit and expansion of the village was now inevitable.