Top 10 similar words or synonyms for auldgirth

gatehead    0.755683

eaglesfield    0.745420

troqueer    0.731474

auchtertyre    0.728415

earlston    0.728263

barlborough    0.727722

allanton    0.726626

hawkshead    0.723751

eskbank    0.723063

gogar    0.722837

Top 30 analogous words or synonyms for auldgirth

Article Example
Auldgirth Auldgirth is a village on the A76 road in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. Auldgirth village features 'The Auldgirth Inn', 'Auldgirth Stores' and the former Auldgirth Primary School, which closed in 2000. Originally inhabitants of Auldgirth located to the scheme, situated next to the A76, but in recent years this has expanded to the outlying areas due to rejuvenation programmes. The name Auldgirth is from Middle English "ald(e) girth", meaning 'old enclosure'. At one time it had a manned railway station, situated one mile south of the village, just before the hamlet of Dalswinton. Carse Loch and the Friar's Carse country house hotel are located nearby.
Auldgirth railway station Trains still pass the site on the Glasgow South Western Line.
Auldgirth railway station Opened by the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway, which became part of the Glasgow and South Western Railway it became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923, passing on to the Scottish Region of British Railways during the nationalisation of 1948. It was then closed by British Railways.
Auldgirth railway station Auldgirth railway station was a station which served Auldgirth, in the Scottish county of Dumfries and Galloway. It was served by trains on what is now known as the Glasgow South Western Line north of Dumfries. The latter station is now the nearest to Auldgirth.
James Mundell James Mundell became a Burgess of Edinburgh on 16 July 1740. He bought the lands of Over Auldgirth in 1752.
Henry Brougham, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux He was present at the trial of the World's first steam powered ship on 14 October 1788 at Dalswinton Loch near Auldgirth, Dumfries and Galloway. William Symington of Wanlockhead built the two-cylindered engine for Patrick Miller of Dalswinton.
Annie Laurie Annie Laurie was born Anna, on 16 December 1682, about 6 o'clock in the morning at Barjarg Tower, in Keir, near Auldgirth, Scotland, the youngest daughter of Robert Laurie, who became first baronet of Maxwellton in 1685.
Ellisland Farm Ellisland Farm () and museum lies about 6.5 mi/10.4 km northwest of Dumfries in village of Auldgirth, located in the Parish of Dunscore, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. The complex is a writer's house museum in the farm Robert Burns built, lived and farmed at Ellisland from 1788 to 1791.
Holywood, Dumfries and Galloway The parish previously had three schools: Speddoch, Steilston and Holywood, near the village. The current school building was built in 1967. Its catchment includes the Woodlands area of Dumfries and part of the catchment of Auldgirth Primary School, which closed in 2000.
A76 road Starting at Kilmarnock in East Ayrshire, the A76 goes through or immediately by-passes Hurlford, Mauchline, Cumnock, Pathhead and New Cumnock before entering Dumfries and Galloway and continuing through Kirkconnel, Sanquhar, Mennock, Enterkinfoot, Carronbridge, Thornhill, Closeburn, Kirkpatrick, Auldgirth and Holywood before terminating at Dumfries. For the majority of its length (the portion from New Cumnock to Dumfries) it follows the valley of the River Nith which also lends its name to the historic district of Nithsdale.